RCAT Licensed Roofing Contractor Program Information
The License referenced below is provided through and fully managed by the Roofing Contractors Association of Texas.
INTRODUCTION: The RCAT Licensed Roofing Contractor program was developed to increase consumer protection and secure the public confidence in the roofing industry by elevating the roofing contractor’s knowledge, skills and professionalism through voluntary self-regulation.
WHO IS TO BE LICENSED: Individuals are to be licensed, not companies, however a qualifying company is key to qualifying for the program. Licensing is available for both Residential and Commercial Roofing Contractors; a Contractor can choose to apply for licensing in one or both categories. Licensing is open to all Roofing Contractors in Texas who meet the qualifications required on the application.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR EACH PERSON:
- Must be a principal in a roofing company domiciled in the State of Texas for at least three continuous years immediately prior to the date of application. The company must have a fixed address with a physical location; a branch office can meet the requirements of domiciled provided all other requirements are met. A principal is defined as one who is actively engaged in the day to day management of the business, and also is in one of the following categories:
- Sole Proprietor – Owner
- Partnership – Managing partner, general partner, or partner with at least 25% ownership interest.
- Corporate – Executive officer or majority owner of voting stock.
- Must submit three satisfactory credit references in Texas for firm, as listed on attached application.
- Must submit four satisfactory business references in Texas, one each from a customer, a manufacturer, a supplier and an RCAT contractor member.
- Must submit satisfactory evidence of financial responsibility as required in the application, consisting of:
-For a commercial contractor applicants: $500,000 combined single limit general liability insurance or evidence that your firm can obtain a $100,000 surety bond, property bond or irrevocable letter of credit – you may send a copy of a previous bond that meets the amount stated.
-For residential contractor applicants: $300,000 combined single limit general liability insurance or evidence that your firm can obtain a $100,000 surety bond, property bond or irrevocable letter of credit – you may send a copy of a previous bond that meets the amount stated.
-Worker’s compensation or other insurance plan providing approximately equivalent benefits and in compliance with Texas laws governing such coverage which is acceptable to the Licensing Committee.
-Satisfactory signed and notarized applicant statement with appropriate fees.
- Must pass a basic business and safety knowledge exam plus residential and/or commercial roofing exam with a score of 70% or better on each exam.
- Once a principal for the roofing company qualifies for Licensing, per all of the terms above, other company employees/managers are then qualified to apply for licensing (special terms apply so the application for managers is available on request to the licensing committee). Managers also are required to pass the exams per number five above.
EXAMINATIONS: Examinations will consist of a business and safety knowledge portion and a technical roofing portion. Upon receipt of a satisfactory application, applicant will be notified of resources to help prepare for the examination. The licensing examinations will be given online beginning in 2019. Exams become the property of RCAT and the results will remain confidential.
RENEWAL: The Licensing period is for one year following date of inception. A license can be renewed by:
- Meeting the same application qualifications outlined here, except for the examination.
- Providing evidence of having taken 8 Continuing Education Units (CEU Hours) at approved workshops or seminars during that 12 month period. A list of approved workshops/seminars will be provided. If you attend a workshop/seminar that is not on the approved list you will need to contact the RCAT office in advance to seek approval of credits.
- Paying the Licensing Renewal Fee of $150 (fee is the same for both RCAT members and non-members).
INACTIVE STATUS: If a Licensed person leaves the employment of the company under which license was obtained and does not obtain other employment with a company meeting the requirements for a Licensed Roofing Contractor, that person may apply for inactive status by request to the Licensing Committee or RCAT office. Notice should be provided in writing within sixty days of your renewal date. The Licensing Committee will notify the contractor if the inactive status has been approved. To maintain inactive status (maximum of three years), the person:
- Must provide evidence of remaining involved in the roofing industry.
- Must renew license, if renewal date occurs while inactive, by:
- Providing evidence of the 8 Continuing Education units per each 12 month period, as noted above;
- Paying the inactive status renewal fee of $150, per each full 12 month period.
- Not needing the meet application qualifications related to firm of employment.
Inactive status will be granted for no longer than three years, at which time the person must qualify for active status again or the license will be terminated by RCAT.
TERMINATION: Licensing may be terminated for any person by the Licensing Committee for any one of the following reasons:
- Failure to meet the requirements at the time of renewal.
- Failure to meet the requirements of inactive status.
- Disciplinary action as deemed by the Licensing Committee.
After termination, a new application and examination, at the full fee, will be required for Licensing, and all requirements in effect at the time of the new application must be met.
RCAT Members*: Non-Members:
Commercial License $450.00* $750.00
Residential License $450.00* $750.00
Both Exams on Same Day $650.00* $950.00
*For member rate your RCAT membership dues must be current.
Fees include application, processing, exam, recording, licensing and re-exam if not passing the first time. The application and fee are valid for one year from the date of submission.
RENEWAL FEE: $150 Annually